Thursday, December 8, 2011

Book Review: Forever, Maggie Stiefvater

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.

            Forever is definitely my favorite book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. It wraps everything up in a way that is unexpected, yet satisfying and believable. I loved seeing officer Koeing finally get involved. I knew he’d be important eventually! Anyway, moving on.
            The plot was awesome. It was fast paced and almost impossible to put down. I would have finished it in one setting if my husband didn’t think dinner was absolutely necessary. There were a few twists I didn’t see coming, but it was basically what I’ve come to expect from the characters, which is fine by me.
            Speaking of the characters, what can I say about Cole St. Clair? He’s like a wounded pit bull. You really want to help him, but you know it’s a bad idea. He and Isobel are like oil and water, but somehow that just makes them more perfect for each other. Normally I don’t like the overly cruel “poor me” side characters, but Cole and Isobel were actually my favorite characters in the book. I do have to say that the way things ended for them just wasn’t fair.
            Sam was loveable, as always, and has finally grown a backbone. Between having to be the one to take care of Grace, and dealing with his very mixed feelings toward his adoptive father, I’m starting to think he just might make it in the human world.
            Grace, honestly got on my nerves. I think it may be because I related to her so much in the beginning. The change in her character just doesn’t sit well with me. I think it has to do with her attitude toward her parents. No, they weren’t perfect, but treating them like they’ve treated her doesn’t really feel like something over achieving let’s-not-make-waves Grace would do. But that’s just my opinion.

Overall, this was a great way to end the Mercy Falls saga. 4 stars

YA notes
Brief sensuality, strong language.

No comments:

Post a Comment