Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So I have this friend....

    I need opinions. Between working, running a household, and trying to take care of a(n insanely advanced) baby, the time I have to actually sit down and write is very little. But it is what I desperately want to do, so I'm making it work. Here's my problem:
         One of my few opportunities to write is during my lunch break at my "day job." Unfortunately, I share this break with a very sweet girl who believes that silence is an evil that must be banished at all costs. So she talks to me the WHOLE hour, even though my laptop is open and I rarely respond. She talks about how cool iit is that I'm writing, how much she can't wait to read my story, (never going to happen at this rate) asks for the recipe of whatever I brought for lunch, and tells me stories about her own child.
       Now, it's not that I don't like this girl, I really do. And I hope that one day she will be able to read my book. But our desks in the office are actually connected. How do I politely tell her that she can tell me her funny story when we get back, but during lunch I really really need her to shut up?
  But remember, "polite" is the key word.

1 comment:

  1. Well you could tell her...no that wouldn't work. Maybe you could say something like...wait,she might take that wrong. Sorry,I got nothing. Keep at it, you'll get there somehow. :)

    ReplyDelete