Monday, August 20, 2012

Review: Abandon (Abandon #1) Meg Cabot

Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.  Goodreads

I actually finished this book several days ago, but it's taken me a while to get my head around it. There is something darkly beautiful about the way Meg Cabot re-tells the story of Persephone. I was hooked from the first page, and I couldn't put it down.

Now, there are a lot of negative reviews over this book, and I can sort of see why. Pierce is not a roll-with-the-punches street-smart beauty queen type of girl. At times she was incredibly frustrating, selfish, and more than a little disturbed. But somehow my inability to connect with her actually worked for this book. It left me wondering "Who says the main character has to be strong to be great?" Pierce has been through a lot. She technically died, her best friend committed suicide, her parents are in a messy divorce, and, oh yeah, Death is stalking her. Honestly, I'd have a few mental stability issues as well.

The love/stalker story is really just starting off, so I'm withholding judgment on that front. There were plenty of twists and turns, mysterious characters, and about a thousand different ways the story can go from here. If  I could ask Meg one question, I's ask what is up with the tassels. Other than that, I loved it and  you can bet I'll be picking up the next book in the series.

Rating 4/5 stars
YA notes: language 

No comments:

Post a Comment